I was late to the 2048 train. I only got the game last week and I finally beat it yesterday. I feel strangely accomplished.
In playing it a couple hundred times, I realized there is sort of a strategy to it, even if I didn’t exactly figure out where the “2s” spawn. Towards the end, I came close to winning many times and then finally did so by keeping these things in mind:
- Stack numbers. Start by pressing left or right until you can’t, then go the other direction.
- Don’t go down. When you have enough stacked, go up. Don’t go down. Going down leads to death. Alternatively you can only go down and avoid going up.
- Get rid of 2s in the top corner ASAP. Turn the 2’s into a higher number ASAP so you don’t get stuck.
- Careful with 2s and 4s beside each other. Think carefully when this happens and get unstuck or this usually leads to death.
- Remember to feed yourself when you get addicted to playing the game.